AirTag Dog Collar Track My Pets?
AirTags use ultra-wideband technology to send out a signal to your device. Why is it called ultra-wideband technology? Because it can transmit info across a wide bandwidth, anywhere from 500MHz to several gigahertz! It’s therefore compatible with different wireless technologies without interrupting other signals.
Ultra-wideband technology is not new on the market. It was known as “pulse radio” at the beginning of the century, and it was used in military and medicine equipment. Since it’s extremely precise and provides data in real-time, ultra-wideband technology found its purpose right here: in locating things.
Most pet trackers use GPS satellites and cellular connections to track their furry friends. Unlike other trackers, AirTags don’t use this technology, and they can’t connect to the internet. They send out secure Bluetooth signals to iCloud, informing you of their location in real-time. You can access the location if you open your “Find My” app on your Apple device.
However, if your pet runs away, or gets lost, the AirTag will not be in your Bluetooth range anymore. In that case, you can put it in Lost Mode. So, if your pet passes by any Apple user, you will automatically get a notification. If someone finds your pet and sees the AirTag, they can tap it and see the information you provided, such as your name and phone number, and contact you immediately.
What’s great is that AirTags are not limited to Apple users only – any device with NFC functionality, including Android, can get your contact info by tapping the AirTag.
Upsides of Using AirTags With Pets
There are many upsides to using AirTags for tracking your pets. Let’s take a look at them:
- Efficiency – AirTags enables you to view your pet’s exact location at any given time. If you’re an iPhone 11 or 12 user, you have the option of Precision Finding – this enables you to view the exact distance and direction to your pet when in range.
- Price – unlike pet trackers that can cost up to several hundreds of dollars, AirTags are cheap! Their price starts at $29 apiece, which is not a lot for a product that can save you the trouble of searching for your pet for hours. You can also buy a pack of four AirTags at $99.
- Easy to set up – AirTags are very user-friendly. You just take it out of the box and pull out the tab to activate it. Then, hold a compatible mobile device next to the AirTag, and a notification will pop up on your device for you to set it up. You can add a name to your AirTag, for example, the name of your pet.
- Size – AirTags are small and light, so they won’t be too heavy for your pet. The diameter of the AirTag is 1.26 inches (31.9 mm), its height is 0.31 inches (8.0 mm), and its weight is 0.39 ounces (11 grams).
- Battery life – AirTags have a great battery lifespan – it lasts for about a year! When the battery is low, you will receive a notification telling you to change it. What’s also great is the battery type. AirTags uses a CR2032 battery, which is often found in devices such as remote controls. You can buy them in almost every store, and they are cheap.
- Resistance – AirTags are splash, water, and dust resistant, so they make a great tracking device for your pet.
- Personalization – if you order your AirTag from the Apple website or Apple Store app, you can get your AirTag engraved for free. So, for example, you can put your pet’s name on the AirTag, or add a few of the 31 emojis available.
- Security – location is never stored inside the AirTag, and only you can access the location. Another great feature is that iOS devices can detect an AirTag that isn’t with its owner, thus enhancing the security. This reduces the chances of your pet ending up in the wrong hands.
- Multiple pet tracking – you can connect up to 16 AirTags at once. So, if you have more than one pet, and you want to track all of them, AirTags can be a great option.